I have successfully nursed 2 kids. My first, I nursed until he was 14 months old. I am now 10.5 months into nursing my second. Here are some things that I have picked up along the way. I hope they help you as much as they have helped me.
Must haves that you should Purchase (All links will be at the bottom of this page)
- Medela Nursing Pads – I prefer the ones with the sticky side. I tried wearing the pads that you could not stick to your bra and they were constantly shifts and falling out!
- Baikea Nursing Tops – I LOVE these shirts. Not only are they the most affordable but they are also great quality and comfortable. I own long-sleeve shirts, sleeveless shirts and short sleeve shirts. I prefer the ones that open from bottom to top than the ones that open from the side, but I like both. DON’T buy button ones if you will wear it everyday. They get way to stretched out and then have gaps between buttons.
- Loving Moments by Leading Lady Nursing Bra – Best bra ever for nursing! This bra was so cheap that I bought 4 to rotate. The clasps, in 10 months, have never broke and the material has held its shape. They are so comfortable too! (ON SALE FOR UNDER $6)
- Boppy Pillow with 2 covers – This is a must have for anybody nursing. I say get at least two covers if not three in case baby has an accident.
- Medela Breast Shield – Get this as a safety measure. I had to use one solely with my first son and this one was amazing. With my second son, I have had to use one on and off for a month while he was teething because he kept biting.
- Medela Breast Pump – Whatever your insurance will give you for free – I have loved my Medela pump but get whatever your insurance will give you for free. CALL THEM AND GET A FREE PUMP!
- Medela Breast Milk Storage Bags – These have worked great for both my kids. A piece of advice, lay them flat in the freezer before storing them so the milk freezes flat and the stack easier.
- Dr. Browns Bottle – These are a pain in the butt to clean with all the parts, but I still feel they are the best.
Must haves that you can’t buy
- Somebody to support you and encourage you along the way. Nursing isn’t easy. I don’t care who tells you otherwise. It is a commitment and it doesn’t always come naturally. Surround yourself with people that will encourage you but not pressure you.
- Somebody to talk to that has been through the ups and downs of nursing. It’s so comforting to have somebody tell you that what you are going through and what you are feeling is normal. It’s also nice to hear tips and advice from others who have already been there.
- Some alone time at some point. Nursing can feel all consuming in the beginning stages. You are on call 24/7 and feel like you don’t have a life anymore. Find some time to be alone. Go to the grocery store. Go for a walk. Do something where you feel like you again.
- Find a fun game on your phone or a group to join. When you are up all the time at night nursing, it helps time go by faster and can help keep you awake.
I’m not one that has loved breastfeeding but I also don’t mind it. I’m almost done my nursing journey now, with only 1.5-3.5 months left. Will I miss it? Yes and No. I will miss the bond with my baby boy. I will miss those quiet moments of just him and I. On the other hand, it will be nice to not be on call and to have some more freedom and hopefully more sleep at night.
I hope this list has helped you. Please feel free to comment on if you liked the products above or if you have any other suggestions!