My family is in the midst of chaos. If you’ve read my other posts, we are still struggling with a 10 month old who won’t sleep through the night and a 3 year old with a sudden fear of being alone.
Long story short, both boys are up 1-2 times at night, meaning 2-4 times altogether EVERY night. On top of that, my baby has another cold and is teething! Lots of congestion and no sleep.
What I had to figure out is…
How do I connect with my husband in the midst of chaos?
- We talk while on car rides (in between talking to the kids and comforting a crying baby)
- If the kids allow, we lay in bed and watch a TV show on my phone (we are both too tired to walk downstairs to watch TV lol)
- If, God willing, both kids are napping at the same time, even for just 5 minutes, we put electronics away and just spend that time together.
- We give a simple smile or word of encouragement in the midst of the chaos. When the kids are having meltdowns, we will walk by each other and say “you’re doing great” “we got this” “I love you” “it will get better”. Even in the thick of things, these words are encouraging!
- We hug. Sometimes it’s a quick “I love you hug” and other times it’s a “I don’t think I can handle this hug”.
In the end though, we will always try to find time to connect because our marriage is worth it.
Our little ones won’t be little forever. We will sleep through the night again. Things will get a little easier (hopefully).
But, in the midst of this chaos, we will grow stronger together because we are a team and this is our family.